In Memory Of My Mam



On Monday I took a day off from blogging to spend some time with my family remembering my mother who sadly passed away last year. I wanted to remember here some more in my own way so thought long and hard about whether it was appropriate or not to put something here. I came to thinking that she was a massive part of my life and my biggest influence therefore I wouldn't even be blogging without her existence. With that in my mind I reasoned that it would be nice to post today and talk a little about her two favourite films.

My mam wasn't a great film watcher. I only remember one instance of going to the cinema with her when I was younger and as I grew older she would often fall asleep during films at home. When I first started writing this blog I discussed it with her and she admitted that her attention span wasn't good enough to carry her through a whole film. She did however tell me about her favourites, favourites I later re watched with her when she was diagnosed with cancer.

The Wizard of Oz (1939) Poster

Her most favourite film, probably because of the childhood memories attached to it, was The Wizard of Oz. I remember watching this every festive season with her and other relatives and I know why she loved it so much. I think everyone has seen it haven't they? The whimsical tale of Dorothy, played by Judy Garland (Meet Me in St. Louis), who is taken away to a magical place by a tornado and then enlists the help of a wizard to get her back home. Released way back in 1939 it really is a timeless classic and despite it's flaws doesn't look dated at all. I think my mam, much like myself, liked the musical elements of the film as I know that somewhere over the rainbow used to make her cry but what really makes the Wizard of Oz so enchanting are the characters Dorothy meets and her plight of a girl so desperate to get back home.

Of the characters the tin man, played by Jack Haley, was the one I liked best. He joined Dorothy on her trip to see the wizard in order to ask for a heart and I always found it so endearing that someone could be so desperate to feel emotion, to feel love. I couldn't tell you who was my mam's favourite character but I do that she was absolutely terrified of the wicked witch of the west, but then again so was I!

From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) Poster

Mam's second favourite film couldn't be more different and even I was surprised when she told me. I have a funny feeling it might have something to do with George Clooney (Ocean's Eleven) who stars as the lead, Seth Gecko.

Written by Quentin Tarantino From Dusk til Dawn is the story of criminal brothers (Seth being one, the other Richard played by Tarantino) who enter a strip club whilst on a crime spree. Unbeknown to them however it is populated by vampires and things get slightly crazy.

First off From Dusk til Dawn is directed by Robert Rodriquez and let me tell you that I LOVE HIM. Of course my mam wouldn't know anything about this but we would both agree that as a piece of drama it's not a bad film. Most people call it horror which is where it gets lost, my mam hated anything slightly scary so I definitely wouldn't place this film anywhere near that genre. Instead I would say it has elements of dark comedy and a slight thrill ride making it, for me, watchable enough.

Do you watch films with your families and loved ones? Have any that have special memories attached?
I'd love to hear about them..


0 lovely comments:

Post a Comment