Looking Forward - Suffragette (2015)

Suffragette (2015) Poster

I have always identified myself as a feminist from being as young as I can remember. Of course back then I had little understanding of what it meant. I had been taught about Emmeline Pankhurst at school and even without knowing the impact she would have on my adult beliefs just knew that she had acted the way she did for me. It wasn't until I started University that I actively studied feminism and it really started to strike a chord with me. I care about equality but what women did in order to get a little piece of it for further generations is mind blowing.

I feel then like I have been waiting forever for this film to be made. The plight of Pankhurst and the other women involved deserves to be shouted about and if that can be done by putting it on the big screen, I say marvellous! With many a historical and political film banded about over the years surely this movement should of been flung forward sooner? If a biop can be made about Margaret fucking Thatcher, who personally stole part of my womanhood, then surely this is a no brainer.

In a time of non peaceful protest Suffragette promises to be a no holds barred look at the foot soldiers of the early feminist movement. Women fighting back in a dangerous game of cat and mouse against government and society. It stars three huge female actresses, Carey Mulligan (Never Let Me Go) Helena Bonham Carter (Sweeney Todd) Meryl Streep (Doubt), in roles that according to the first look trailer see them fighting for their rights with gusto.

If you haven't already you can see the trailer HERE which shows the feminist plight as one all guns blazing. It shows that the chase for equality knows no class and it shows the women as true (if somewhat radical) heroines of history.

I can't wait for it's release in October.

0 lovely comments:

Post a Comment